There are lots of ways for you to meet new friends at OLUMC! Here are just a few:
Sunday School Classes
- Sunday Seminar, Room 207: This group of adults has a discussion-based Sunday school class with occasional trips and guest speakers.
- Open Doors, Room 209: This class is series based and very open to newcomers. They have lively, spirit-filled discussions and occasionally have service opportunities and social events.
- Children’s Sunday school: Classes for preschool and elementary children meet on the first floor from 10:15-10:50 a.m. All children are also welcome to sing in the Joyful Noise Choir, which rehearses from 10:00-10:15 a.m. in the Sanctuary. Childcare for 3 and under is available in the nursery beginning at 9:00 a.m.
This group helps lead worship at the 11:00 a.m. service each week and sings for special seasonal worship services as well. Rehearsals are on Wednesdays in the Sanctuary from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and on Sundays from 10:15 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. Hear our choir sing:
- Front Desk: Mondays between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. and occasionally when our Administrative Coordinator is out of the office. For more information, contact Eva Cherry in the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (214) 521-5197 ext. 115.
- Community Outreach Center: Sundays at A Time to Serve
- Child Development Center: We are looking for adults who would like to come read to kids! For more information, contact the Child Development Center at email@example.com or (214) 521-0900.
- Farmers Market (postponed until 2018): Do you like fresh fruits and vegetables, homemade pickles, jams or jellies? How about handmade cards or barbecue? Then come out on Saturday mornings during the summer months for our Farmers Market! Buy from local farms, artisans, and vendors, plus visit with your Oak Lawn neighbors.
- Alan Ross Freedom Parade: Oak Lawn UMC participates in the yearly Alan Ross Freedom Parade. Please join us – but remember to get here early as the streets around the church will be blocked off for the parade.
Sunday, May 7 at 12:30 p.m.
Are you curious about what’s going on at Oak Lawn UMC? Check out Embark, a gathering for newcomers to meet a pastor and learn more about OLUMC. Pastor Ben will be on hand to get to know you and answer all your questions!
Meets every Thursday evening.
Canopy is a weekly gathering for young adults that seeks to make connections between what we believe and the world around us. For more information and a schedule of topics, visit www.olumc.org/canopy.
First Tuesday Group
First Tuesday Group gathers in the Hospitality Center on the first Tuesday of the month from 10:00 a.m. to about 1:00 p.m. and sits together while working on projects. Bring your scrapbooking, knitting, sewing, writing, card addressing, or craft with you and join in the fellowship. If you would like to learn how to knit, they will gladly teach you. Bring your lunch.
Chair Yoga Class
OLUMC’s chair yoga class meets on Tuesdays in 207/the Parlor. The class is designed to meet the specific needs of senior adults and those with limited mobility. This class includes a combination of stretching and breathing exercises designed to relieve stress and to increase mobility and body awareness. All poses are done seated or standing and the chair is there for your safety and support. There is no need to bring a yoga mat. This class is also open to anyone new to yoga, recovering from injuries or just looking for a more gentle based yoga class. Please wear comfortable, stretchy clothing.
Are you “50 or better?” This enthusiastic group of older adults enjoys trips, outings, parties, and special events throughout the year.
For more information about any of these groups, contact the Church Office at (214) 521-5197 or firstname.lastname@example.org.