The OLUMC Go! Ministry has recently formed a partnership with Promise House, a non-profit organization whose sole purpose is to provide support for homeless and runaway youth. Founded in 1984, Promise House has dramatically expanded their programming to include crisis intervention, transitional housing, pregnant and parenting teen services, counseling, education, and outreach to neglected, abused, and at-risk youth ages 0-24 Their services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to children, teens, and families in crisis, and they serve approximately 1,700 youth and families annually.
How We Support Promise House
Each quarter (4 times a year), OLUMC will help support Promise House through your gifts or service. How will this work? You will have two opportunities to choose from (or do both!)
- Gifts: We will offer members and guests the opportunity to support Promise House by providing much-needed supplies. This could range from new clothing to cleaning or school supplies, snacks, or even contributing to a fundraising drive
- Service: You can help support us by attending an activity sponsored by OLUMC. We may plan a game night for youth, do a field trip, or participate in the annual SleepOut.
July 27 – August 13:
- Gifts: Help homeless youth get school supplies! Bring the following supplies to our drop off location at the church:
- Loose-leaf paper
- You can also buy supplies via Amazon and have them shipped (for free).
- Service: After the 11:00 a.m. worship service on Sunday, August 13, please plan to go with us to Promise House (located in Oak Cliff). We will have a quick snack lunch at the church, gather up all the supplies, and then head over to Promise House. While at Promise House, you will have a chance to take a tour and learn more about their services. We should finish by 2:00 p.m.
Coming in November:
- Gifts: Plan to sponsor one of our OLUMC Sleepers at the Promise House SleepOut.
- Service: Plan to be a “Sleeper” in the SleepOut (happening November 9)